Saturday, October 25, 2008

This is my super real life



Hmmm - are you having a super real life? I know I am - including trying to start a business to having a busy life raising three rowdy (I mean highly intelligent and always busy) kids.

When I was in my early twenties two of my nieces explained to me (as only a 5 year old could) that I was not leading a super real life. As a college student in the 90's, and having the time of my life, I begged to differ. I was happy, and excited about the prospects of my future. The girls explained to me, I had a real life, just not a super real life. Say what???

They went on to explain that even though I had a life, you had to get married and have children to have a super real life. I thought this was hysterical, I had no intention of ever getting married, I planned on pursuing my art career. Furthermore, my life couldn't have been any more super - life was amazing!

In the next year I met the love of my life, got married and promptly had children. Well, suddenly my life felt a whole lot less super, and a bunch more hectic! Wow, who knew one child could make so much noise? I thought, "this is my super real life?". Don't get me wrong, I loved my life, but not any more than the life I was leading before I was married and had children.

Three children later I realized something was missing. It wasn't with my marriage, which thank you God, is great. It wasn't with my kids, they are incredible! It was me, somehow I had lost myself. Somehow, my dreams had gone out the window when the burp clothes moved in. Well, why couldn't I still pursue my life as an artist and have the rest. I had messed up the idea of becoming a mother, I thought that was all I should do. I had missplaced myself, and in her place was supercharged mommy. My entire identity was wrapped up in motherhood. Please don't misunderstand, I love being a mother, but I love being me as well. I decided it was time to fix this.

And so, I feel like for the first time I am having a super real life. Not because I'm a mom, or a wife and daughter (by the way I have the most awesome mother ever). No, my nieces were wrong, what you need to have a super real life is authencity. I am finally being the person I always wanted to be, a person who has family but also has herself. Now I will pursue my other interests and make myself a priority once in a while. If starting a business doesn't work out, thats O.K. too, because I am not any of these labels, I am simply me.

I hope while you are reading this that you feel happiness and fullfillness in your life. I am on a journey to be just me, and I love to hear your input on how you pursue your own super real life. I will stumble many many times along the way, but that's O.K. too.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

RAHRAHRAH! :)
Kudos to you for realizing the importance of knowing yourself - and reminding the rest of us -by doing this , you'll be better at everything else that you dooooo!!!YYYEEAAHH!!

Have a great day,
amanda

Ayelet said...

Inspiring. Thank you. Oh, and your work is so very beautiful!

Unknown said...

Excellent post. I feel the same way.:)